15 April 2007

Killing Cold Snap

We are almost a week into a pretty nasty cold snap, down to the 30s or 40s every night lately. Brr! I'm hoping *fingers crossed* that this will be the last of the cold weather but we may get a late April surprise. The hummingbirds have been seen all around us but not here. I dreamt I saw a hummingbird around our house, but that's the closest I've come to the real thing. All the new, bright green growth on the trees is withered and shriveled after a few freezes. I don't know if they'll be able to recover after all these sad little green leaves fall off. Most of the frogs and crickets and other neekerbreekers have dug back into the soil and the coyotes have been quiet too. I pray the weather gods know their business as it's really sad looking around here.

We've never had a year like this: the horrible, disaster-area causing ice storm that killed some and maimed most of the trees in February and now this recent weather has frozen the new leaves as they were growing. If we're lucky the hardest hit by this cold snap will be the insects; if we're unlucky all of our trees will be bare.

No comments: