22 September 2008

Equinox Serenade

During the wee hours of this morning I was up and about, as usual, this time taking the dogs out for a nighttime walk around the backyard. In the midst of trying to avoid the barely visible spiderwebs I heard something I hadn't heard in so many months I'd almost completely forgotten about it: coyotes. We used to have two distinct groups of coyotes near our house and I used to hear them every night, sometimes multiple times. But, for some unknown reason, this year I hadn't heard them once until about 3 this morning. It almost brought tears to my eyes.

The past year has been really dark for my family and I and, as anyone knows, it's hard to feel inspired by anything when one's personal life is a raging mess. With so little green in my life this year and my home life going to hell I've been worried that I'd lost my sense of wonder and appreciation for the wild things of the world. But last night when I heard the coyotes yipping and singing I felt a tiny ray of hope. Not a sense of relief necessarily, but a glimmer of possibility. Don't get me wrong, things around home still suck shit, but "I seemed to see ahead somehow" to paraphrase Sam in Lord of the Rings. I felt that if I can hear the coyotes from time to time and make love to the night sky with my eyes I'll surely be okay.

As I lay my head down after our walk I was further serenaded by a 10-minute owl song, which I absolutely adore. In fact, owl song is one of my favorites of the bird songs to be had around here. (The other is the song of the also nocturnal whip-poor-will; if you've never heard it you have suffered severe misfortune and I pity you.) It was a beautiful lullaby and further encouraged me to dream that the autumn season will bring some positive changes. The gods and the wild things of the night have given me hope.

10 comments:

Aquila ka Hecate said...

Bless the Spirit of Coyote and of Owl!

I'm sure they're going to find a way to work with you in the future.
Bless the Spirit of the Night and of Dark, too - even if just for the contrast.
Love,
Terri in Joburg

Griffin said...

Sorry to hear you're suffering at the moment and drat it, I wish I could help. Tho' as my life is a mess at the moment I'm possibly not the best one to help you!!

Still, you hear the coyote and the owl and you have your dogs (with me it would be cats). Here, I lie down at night and if I'm lucky I hear the foxes and the owl's soft sound. I love them too, they remind me of Athene and so of wisdom.

Keep your fire Livia, the dark will turn to day. Be safe and be well, my dear.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it interesting how moments like these can fill you up and make you feel better about things. I have had a couple of times like this (which, I know isn't saying much considering how old I am) where the peace of nature can overwhelm you.

Hope things turn around for you.

Hecate said...

Hope this is a sign of better things to come.

Livia Indica said...

Thank you all for your kind words and wishes. It really means a lot and I deeply appreciate it.

laoi gaul~williams said...

what a wonderful thing for you~i hope its a sign that you will have increasing green in your life from now :)

Livia Indica said...

I hope so too. But with autumn coming in fast I wonder. Still, things can't get much worse. *knock wood*

Griffin said...

Livia, this new blog set up is lovely, very writ-on-papyrus!

Autumn is the stone season, Winter the 'death' season... before the rebirth of Spring. It's a Scorpio thing, but I'll lend it to you - may you be reborn with the new leaves of Spring. In the meantime, close and be yourself.

Oh, and NEVER say 'things can't get worse...' 'cos that really is just asking for trouble!!! ...or is that just me?!

Anne Johnson said...

You've been tagged to help blunt the force of anti-Pagan Sarah Palin! Please encourage your readers and fellow bloggers to do the same!

Livia Indica said...

Griffin, thanks, I like the new blog template too! You're right, I shouldn't tempt fate, but that's what the "knock wood" is for. But maybe that's just a southern/hillbilly thing.

Anne, you know, it's funny, I've been thinking of doing something like that but haven't quite figured out what I want to say, other than the fact that she is a wolf in sheep's clothing and scares the hell outta me. I'm on it.