16 May 2008

Green Consciousness... or Use the Trashcan Damnit!

As a pagan, like many, I feel that caring for the Earth and its critters and atmosphere is just as important, if not more so, than taking care of each other. And I don't just feel this way because without the Earth we'd be wiped out but because our home planet deserves it. The Earth deserves our respect and reverence. I feel that honoring the Earth, and doing everything to preserve it, is integral to being a pagan. Ours in an Earth-based type of religion. You can't worship the old gods and help bring on springtime while living like an irresponsible lump. And I don't buy all that crap about recycling and reusing being too much work and too time consuming. If you really care you'd make the time and make the work a priority and be glad to do it even when you're tired. I imagine some people would call me irrational because when I see someone litter I literally become enraged. I quell it, I control it by not screaming at the offender but I don't let it slide. There are places for trash and cigarette butts; they're called trash cans and ashtrays. The ground is not a trashcan nor an ashtray. The creek is not your personal dump site; it is home to a myriad of creatures that can live quite happily without your refuse clogging up their habitat. It seems pretty straightforward and easy; even children understand basic things like that. But some people insist on throwing their trash upon the ground as some sort of declaration that they have mastered the planet. Well, guess what buddy? Your littering can in no way stand up to a tornado. You are powerless against the might of the planet so get over yourself, grow up, show some respect and use the trashcan like all the other kids on this playground. Even if you don't live greenly can't you at least agree that minimizing and then organizing your trash would make life a lot more pleasant? Even if the environment is fine and the ozone layer is okey dokey that doesn't mean we have to live like pigs in our own filth does it?

4 comments:

Turtleheart said...

Amen to that! I feel the same way. It pisses me off seeing cigarette butts and fast food garbage and those damn plastic grocery bags everywhere. When I see people toss stuff out their car windows, I just want to drive right up behind them and ram their car.

We went to the Garden of the Gods a couple years ago and I was angry as hell to see cigarette butts EVERYWHERE around the beautiful rock formations. Is nothing sacred?

PS- had to change my blog location, you can find me at:

http://turtleheartcove.blogspot.com/

Aquila ka Hecate said...

As a smoker myself, I get so pissed at seeing people fling butts-sometimes burning-out of their car windows.

My used cigarrettes go into the ashtray, then into compost.

We seem to have a big litering problem in South Africa , too. I've actually heard people who should know better say that it's "giving someone a job" if they fling their trash around the streets.

Myself, I think they're simply semi-conscious.

Love,
Terri in Joburg

Unknown said...

When I go to the local park, I'm amazed at the amount of litter lying on the ground, right next to the trash can! Can't they walk the few extra inches to actually hit the can?

Livia Indica said...

Turtleheart, it seems nothing is sacred to some people. At least there's a few people like us who care. Thanks for the heads up about your new address, I've edited my blogroll.

ZZ, I don't know, I'll have to look into it. I don't do satire very often, I'll have to think about.

Aquila ka Hecate, thanks for being a good smoker, you're a perfect example of how kind to the planet smokers can be.

Jillbeth, I'm always amazed at that too. Some folks seem to think that if something is thrown toward the trash can they'll still get points for trying. Lazy asses. Thanks for commenting on my blog.