02 September 2007

The Illusion of Matter

Aquila ka Hecate has a very interesting post up entitled The Illusion of Distraction in which she discusses the theory that this physical world is illusory and a distraction from our true selves. Another great blogger, Hecate, also weighs in on this topic. The consensus seems to be that the idea of this life as unimportant, or not as important as the next, is a symptom of the patriarchy and to be rejected. I'm somewhat on the fence myself. I have always believed that we are more than our physical bodies and that the core of us, whether it's called a soul or spirit or other term, is not bound to our bodies forever. We are attached but it is only temporary. But what does that mean as far as this life is concerned? Is it a waste of time? Is it to be rushed through so we can get to the main event? I think not. We are here on this physical plane to learn and to grow; to improve our inner selves. The spiritual plane may be more important in the long run but only in this reality can we recognize the preciousness of life. Death is like a biological term limit that forces us to do what we can while we can. I think the idea of our eternal spiritual selves should be a comfort to us in dark times; it should give us hope that while we may suffer now there are bigger and better things to come. It isn't a free pass to give up on this life; rather, it is a reason to work hard on ourselves so that our souls may reap the benefits.

The following TOOL lyrics have always been inspirational to me and sum up my feelings, may they be an inspiration for others too.

We are choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside
This holy reality, this holy experience.
Choosing to be here in

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal
All this pain is an illusion

TOOL lyrics

No comments: