08 February 2007

Rue, Skullcap and the San Pedro Cactus

This year I decided to take it easy on myself; I'm only gonna try to start two herbs from seeds. Instead of watching dozens of seedlings die of root rot I'm hoping having just a few seedlings will increase my chances of success. This year I'm trying Rue and Skullcap (official) from seed. Rue is supposedly a natural insect repellant and that's always a good thing around this house. And although it stinks it is medicinally useful as well, especially for cough, croup and bronchitis.

And the Skullcap makes a very calming tea, it's considered better than Lemon Balm or Chamomile tea. It has such a calming effect on the nervous system that is has historically been used to successfully treat epilepsy. It can help relieve nervous headaches and induce a safe sleep with no side effects.

I also ordered two cuttings of San Pedro Cactus, one for planting and one for ...something else. I first heard of San Pedro from a TV documentary about the ancient Peruvian culture called Chavin and since then I've been studying up. I'm really looking forward to trying it out on a camping trip.

No comments: